HomeNorwich townshiptail

Services Provided By The Township

Norwich Township has partnered with several organizations to provide a number of services to the community. Each service has been specifically designed for our residents and will offer information, training or experience on a number of topics.

Animal Control

Household Hazardous Waste Collections


Law Enforcement

Mosquito Control


Animal Control

Stray Dogs and Cats

Norwich Township encourages the responsible control of domestic animals on public and private properties. Domestic animals that are allowed to roam can be aggressive threats and contribute to the continuing rabies problem in this region. Because domestic cats and dogs are the primary carriers of rabies to humans, we consider stray cat and dog encounters with residents and park visitors to be a serious safety concern. We also ask people to be aware of the detrimental effects that feral and free-ranging domestic cats can have on native wildlife and natural ecosystems. Domestic cats are a significant factor in the mortality of desirable small mammals, birds, reptiles and amphibians. For these reasons, Norwich Township requires that pets be properly confined and controlled.

Stray or Loose Dogs
Report stray or loose dogs to either the Hilliard Division of Police at (614) 876-7321 or to the Franklin County Dog Shelter and Adoption Center at (614) 525-3400. The Franklin County Dog Shelter and Adoption Center has one or more animal control officers on duty 24 hours a day, every day of the year. This agency is also responsible for enforcement of dog-related laws and operates the Franklin County dog shelter at 4340 Tamarack Blvd. For more information, go to http://www.franklincountydogs.com/.

Stray Cats
The Capital Area Humane Society (CAHS) at (614) 777-7387 will accept stray cats and other animals for a fee if they have space available in their facility at 3015 Scioto-Darby Executive Court in Hilliard. For more information, go to http://www.cahs-pets.org/.

Roadside Animals

Norwich Township will assist in removing dead wildlife from Township roads whenever possible. Report dead wildlife found on roads to the Norwich Township Roads Superintendent at (614) 876-2236 during normal business hours.


Household Hazardous Waste 

Most households have hazardous waste materials that cannot legally be disposed with regular trash because they can cause injury or are harmful if not used, stored, or disposed of properly. Items such as paint (not latex), lighter fluid, gasoline, paint thinner, kerosene, polishes, adhesives, pool chemicals, acids, drain cleaner, paint stripper, antifreeze, insecticides, rat poison, mercury/Ni-cad and lithium batteries should be disposed of at a household hazardous waste collection.

The Solid Waste Authority of Central Ohio (SWACO) has opened a permanent Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) collection site at 645 E. 8th Avenue, Columbus. This location has regularly scheduled weekly hours, but is closed on holidays.  Hours are Wednesdays and Fridays 12:00PM - 6:00PM and Thursdays 9:00AM - 5:00PM.

No materials from businesses will be accepted at either location. If your business has hazardous waste materials to dispose of, please call the Ohio EPA (614) 728-3778.

Did you know... you can dry up latex paint! Latex paint is water soluble and can be dried out converting it to a non-hazardous material. There are paint hardeners available in stores or you can mix the paint with cat litter or sawdust. Leave the lid off to speed up the process. When the paint is dry, throw it in with your regular trash.

For more information, go to http://www.swaco.org/Residents/HouseholdHazardousWaste.aspx.



The Franklin County Public Health Department offers Children's Immunization Clinics at Norwich Township Fire Station 83, 4283 Davidson Road, on the second Wednesday of every month from 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.  Appointments must be made by calling (614) 525-3719.  Required immunizations are available for a $15 administration fee to children ages one month to 18 years of age.  No one will be turned away due to inability to pay.  Clinics falling on a holiday will be cancelled. 

Please be sure to bring your child's shot record with you to the clinic, parents must have photo identification and their insurance card.  A completed consent form is required if a parent or legal guardian is not present at the clinic. For more information or to look at the clinic schedule for a variety of locations, click on this link: www.myfcph.org/health-wellness/shots.


Law Enforcement

Police services, including patrol and investigation, are provided by the Hilliard Police Department for both the unincorporated areas and areas within the city limits. Residents of the Township who reside within the City of Columbus are served by the Columbus Division of Police.


Mosquito Control

Norwich Township contracts with Franklin County Public Health (FCPH) for mosquito control. FCPH uses an Integrated Pest Management approach with a public health focus to reduce and control disease carrying mosquitoes.

Many tools and techniques are used throughout the mosquito season to help control the mosquito population. These include:
1) Larviciding is the application of chemical and biological products applied to stagnant water areas and storm water catch basins to prevent mosquitoes from hatching in these prime breeding sites.
2) Surveillance involves trapping and counting mosquitoes, identifying the species, and performing disease testing on the mosquitoes.  
3) Adulticiding (spraying) is the application of pesticides to exterminate adult mosquitoes by using truck-mounted ultra-low volume spray units driven on public roadways.  
5) A variety of educational materials and awareness approaches.

In addition, historical data about mosquito breeding locations, areas that traditionally have high adult mosquito populations, and the frequency and distribution of mosquito-borne diseases throughout Franklin County also allow FCPH to concentrate and focus efforts. FCPH also relies on residents to report areas that they suspect may be mosquito breeding areas and/or when there is an increase in adult mosquito activity.

Mosquito control in Franklin County goes back decades, but in 2007 Franklin County Public Health began a very successful partnership with Vector Disease Control International (VDCI). This company specializes solely in providing mosquito control services and carries out the day-to-day operations of FCPH's Integrated Mosquito Management Program. They provide an exceptional level of service and expertise. This unique partnership between a public health agency and private industry has allowed mosquito control in Franklin County to excel and become a model program within the state of Ohio.

To report mosquito problem areas, go to www.myfcph.org  and complete a service request form.  A message can also be left at (614) 525-BITE (2483), which is a voice mail system and all calls will be returned within one business day. 




Norwich Township contracts with Local Waste Services for waste disposal services for unincorporated residents.   Benefits to residents who receive this service include reduced rates, recycling and yard waste collection services. To view a schedule of services, along with a list of acceptable recycling items, click HEREThe company bills residents directly for the services provided. Senior citizens may receive a discount on their monthly bill.  However, you must notify Local Waste Services to receive this discount. 

The Solid Waste Authority of Central Ohio provides for disposal of solid waste and composting of yard waste generated within the township. Local Waste Services contracts Rumpke of Ohio, Inc. for their recycling facilities. If you need to arrange for trash and recyclables collection with Local Waste Services, call (614) 409-9375.   

Collection Containers

Please place your waste materials in sealed garbage or paper bags (strong enough to securely hold the contents), or plastic or metal cans. Closed cardboard boxes are acceptable for bulky or loose materials; however, Local Waste Services is not able to collect overloaded or wet boxes. To ensure driver safety, no container should weigh more than 50 pounds. Local Waste Services have 95-gallon waste containers available to rent. Contact them directly at (614) 409-9375.

Trash Service Guidelines

Please have your materials out by 7:00 a.m. on your scheduled pick up day. 

  • Please place materials in bags or containers – do not exceed 50 lbs. containers or bundles.
  • Bulk items and additional material will be collected at the same time as all other items.
  • Brush must be tied in bundles at 4ft. or less in length by 2ft. or less in diameter.
  • Please have yard waste (including leaves) in biodegradable brown paper bags or in containers that are marked clearly ‘Yard Waste Only’ -- stickers are available at the Norwich Township Administration office.
  • Place yard waste a few feet away from other materials for easier identification as it will be collected separately on the same day.

The following items are deemed uncollectible items:

  • Tires
  • Household Hazardous Waste
  • Lead Acid Batteries
  • Liquids, Paints, Oils
  • Freon-based Appliances
  • Large Automobile Parts

The following items are deemed recyclable items:

  • Glass bottles and jars
  • Metal cans (steel, tin, aluminum)
  • Plastic bottles and jugs
  • Paper and cardboard
  • Paper Cartons
  • "Kraft" or brown paper grocery sacks
  • Corrugated Cardboard
  • White/Yellow Pages phone books
  • Newspapers and Magazines

Recycling Policy

Norwich Township wants to make proper recycling as easy as possible for you, so Local Waste Services provides each resident with rolling recycling carts to place acceptable items in for recycling.  Please place these carts at the curb on your recycling day.  It's not only important to recycle.  It's important to Recycle Right.  

By only recycling materials that are accepted at the recycling facility, your recycling will make more of an impact.  SWACO's "RECYCLE RIGHT" campaign makes proper recycling easy by giving you a comprehensive list of what should and what shouldn't go in your recycling container.  For more information about "RECYCLE RIGHT," please visit http://www.swaco.org/RecycleRight

All recyclable materials will be collected by Local Waste Services and mixed together in a truck. It is then separated at the local recycling center. Do not
bundle or bag materials. Place loosely in bins. Plastic grocery bags are NOT accepted. Please return them to the grocery store. Window glass and glass dishes are NOT recyclable.  For a list of acceptable items, click HERE.

If you reside in the unincorporated areas of Norwich Township and need a recycling cart, simply call Local Waste at (614) 409-9375 to have a wheeled cart delivered to you at no cost.  Additional carts are available for a monthly rental fee.  

Bulk Items (bulky or heavy items)

Local Waste Services will collect bulk items with your other items on your scheduled pick-up day. Please cut bulk material such as boards, fencing, paneling and carpeting into four foot lengths and tie into bundles with a diameter not to exceed 18 inches. All other types of bulk materials should be collected as one piece. Please keep in mind that single items weighing more than 50 pounds may injure your driver. To schedule removal of any Freon-based appliances, contact Local Waste Services directly.

For more information, go to http://www.localwasteservices.com.


Township Offices Roads & Wesley Chapel Cemetery
Fire Stations